historical note (was: New Block Closures)

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Thu Jun 21 21:07:05 UTC 2001

On Thursday 21 June 2001 15:22, Dan Ingalls wrote:
> I did this in the NoteTaker Smalltalk implementation (1978) for an
> 8086 that ran at 8 (count 'em) MHz.  The ref is page 19 of the "green
> book" where the figure of 6 (count 'em) k bytes for the kernel
> interpreter also appears.

Too bad "normal people" only got to try Smalltalk when Digitalk
released their Methods product seven years later (1985). I got to use
it on a 4.77 MHz 8088 machine (the PC), though I had a hard time
finding one with a full 512KB of RAM...

Looking at how far Squeak has come in seven years, I can't help
thinking of the quote:

    "For of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are
     these: It might have been!" - John Greenleaf Whittier

-- Jecel