[ENH][GOODIE] OSProcess V2.0 (version 2.0 released)

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Fri Mar 16 02:37:36 UTC 2001

On Thursday 15 March 2001 17:53, David T. Lewis wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 12:51:55PM -0500, Stephen Pair wrote:
> > >  - Tell the running image to go headless (UnixProcess decapitate).
> >
> > David, what about "UnixProcess recapitate"?  Can I do that?  At some
> > point in the future, I would like to simultaneously upgrade Swiki.net to
> > Squeak 3.x and upgrade ;) from Windows to Linux.  One of the things I've
> > always wanted was to have my cake and eat it too with respect to headless
> > operation.  Basically, I want to run Swiki.net headless, but also be able
> > to resurrect the head to perform updates and maintenance without having
> > to take down the service.  I can achieve that to a certain degree on a
> > Unix platform using VNC, but I'd like to be able to do it without needing
> > to keep an active X server around.
> >
> > - Stephen
>
> As requested.
>
> - Dave

Cool! This'll be useful... however, two things:

(1) it has linefeeds rather than carriage returns, which is OK with me, but...

(2) it doesn't work on my system. Well, the decapitate works, but it never
comes back. The process keeps running, though.

This is under XFree86 3.3.6, and kwin from KDE2.1

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA
email:     ned at bike-nomad.com