While I'm at it...(Re: [BUG]? FileDirectory>>directoryContentsFor:)

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Thu Mar 15 22:57:03 UTC 2001

FileDirectory really isn't very rational. It's sorta weird that
FileDirectory class>>#on: doesn't actually get you, well, a file
directory. I.e., there need not be a directory at that path. Odd.

Yes yes, separation of name and directory. Much needed. Is there a
standard way of dealing with this among the Smalltalks? A target worth of
emulation and migration?

Personally, I wouldn't mind being able to sensibly use file urls for cross
platformness (relative ones, for the most part, I'd guess).

The other model I find interesting but know little about is Common Lisp's
pathname stuff. See:

http://www.xanalys.com/software_tools/reference/HyperSpec/Body/chap-19.html

Seems to me that most smalltalks get pretty close, but fall a bit short,
of what CL offers (e.g., no version componant).

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.