MPEG streaming over the Internet?

Karl Ramberg karl.ramberg at chello.se
Wed Mar 7 21:30:49 UTC 2001

Jie Huang wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to use JMM's MPEG3Plugin to build a MPEG player for video
> streaming over the Internet.
>
> The streaming part is done in Squeak using UDP. Then I realize I need to
> change files such as mpeg3io.c in the libmpeg to read data from network
> stream instead of from the mpeg file.
>
> Am I right? Is it possible to do this in Squeak without changing the C
> code?
I think you have to change the C code. It would be great if you did,
hint hint.
The plugin can only read from a
file on the harddisk : MPEGFile>> primFileValidMPEG: aPath
If this fails it will not use the file.

I added ability for Scamper to handle MPEGs but the catch was that it had
to download the whole file, save it and then load it again.
The only way around that I can see is to save the stream in small files
and read them after eachother as they are saved. (  and then clean up
the mess afterwards ;-))
But this is problably a big job too, because you will have to
know the frame sequence in the stream etc...
Karl