[majoredShrinked Image] ProcessBrowser walk-back on open

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Sun Mar 4 14:33:32 UTC 2001

On Sunday 04 March 2001 01:48, Phiho Hoang wrote:
> Greetings,
>
>     I just filed in 'ProcessBrowser' (filed out from Squeak3.0.image) into
> my shrinked image.

Well, I'm the author of ProcessBrowser, and perhaps I can help...

You can't use just the ProcessBrowser by itself. Under MVC, you also have to
have the DeferredActionStandardSystemController.

An important skill if you're playing with majorShrink is to examine the
global dictionary Undeclared.

You can run:

	Smalltalk cleanOutUndeclared.
	Undeclared inspect.

and see what's left. Inspect "objects pointing to" the various entries.

My guess is that you have a reference to
DeferredActionStandardSystemController in Undeclared.

If you leave a Transcript open when you file in code, you'll see messages like
	(DeferredActionStandardSystemController is Undeclared)
go by.

Another thought is that it may be a bit early for you to be playing with the
ProcessBrowser if you're unfamiliar with Smalltalk. To get processes to work
right, you have to use Semaphores, SharedQueues, etc...

If you just want a system to learn from, you'd be better off (in my opinion)
to use a full system, but just not look at, say, Morphic (though the
programming model of the MVC stuff isn't much simpler). Just ignore all the
menu items and classes you don't understand.

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA
email:     ned at bike-nomad.com