Squeak on tinies (was Re: Squeak on iPaq-Linux Update)

John.Maloney at disney.com John.Maloney at disney.com
Tue Mar 27 03:00:25 UTC 2001

Like Kevin, we used Squeak running on a Sharp MI-C1 for a prototype
of a handheld device to be used by Disney theme park guests. Squeak
worked great but, of course, the guests were not using browsers and
change sets; it was completely custom user experience.

We did all our developement and testing on desktop and laptop
machines with large screens. However, we did sometimes use the
debugger directly on the PDA, and in one case the ability to debug
in situ helped us track down a problem with corrupted flash memory
cards that could not have been debugged otherwise.

Personally, I think even a full VGA screen is cramped for doing
development work, and quarter VGA is nearly impossible with
our current tools. You just can't get enough text on the screen at
once (in my opinion). But Squeak is terrific for cross developement
because it works the same (modulo speed and the touch screen)
on all platforms. We typically did all our testing and debugging
on a laptop and had the image work perfectly when moved to
the PDA.

Of course, it's great to be able to run little do-its in a workspace,
or to change the odd method or two directly on the PDA. But
for serious programming you really want a lot of screen rea
estate and a full-sized keyboard.

	-- John