Improving the interface (w.r.t. scrollbars)

Dan Shafer dshafer at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 6 18:26:12 UTC 2001

I find this basic idea quite intriguing and of course it is very
Smalltalk-like. At this late stage of the WIMP interface's history it may be
too late to untrain or retrain the current generation of users but I think
exploring alternative UI components like this could bear fruit in the
next-generation user interface.

Actually, I would take the whole concept of the future UI one step farther and
suggest that perhaps moving away from total standardization and going more to a
Squeak-like world where users get to select how they want their UIs to work may
have some serious merit. We have, I think, become stuck in the notion that
users need predictability across machines and even across operating systems to
some degree, yet how many people do you know who run more than one machine or,
at most, two different machines (one at work and one at home)? Vanishingly few.

So perhaps rather than busying ourselves with a difficult if not impossible
task of designing what _the_ next UI should look like, we should be
experimenting with the notion of creating lots of different UI components
(morphs) users can _easily_ assemble into a user experience _they_ understand
and prefer?