swiki and Squeak documentation

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Fri Mar 16 17:06:12 UTC 2001

On Friday 16 March 2001 03:14, Dick Karpinski wrote:
> Is there a wiki with the Squeak sources spread out with at least each
> class on a different page? With appropriate invitations, I think that
> might be a good way to gather both commentary and questions from the
> entire community. It would become a resource for programmers because
> it would always have material more recent than the latest release.

Given the nature of the swikis, why can't you do this:

* translate all URL's of the form:
	http://myswiki.com/top/squeak/ClassName
	http://myswiki.com/topsqueak/ClassName/methodName
	http://myswiki.com/topsqueak/ClassCategoryName
	http://myswiki.com/topsqueak/ClassName/protocolName

into direct method source lookups (who needs a separate file for these things
when you already have the sources on file)?

* but first look to see if anyone has edited the page; if so, deliver that
page instead.

* accept edits by making a new page with the original method source (or class
summary, or whatever) followed by the new content

This would be transparent, and would only generate new files when someone
changed the content.

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA