[newbie] discoveries

Karl Wilson khwilson at bigfoot.com
Tue Mar 20 02:10:02 UTC 2001

>On Sunday 18 March 2001 09:14, Karl Wilson wrote:
>
>>  But this makes me wonder, why doesn't Morphic tell my powerbook that
>>  it needs to keep thinking about stuff? I don't really know what
>>  "allow processor cycling" means, but my guess is that it allows the
>>  CPU to sort of go to sleep when no demands are being made of it - but
>>  I am running "life", so why not give Squeak what she needs?
>
>There is a turnOffPowerManager Preference. Did it make any difference?
>
>Also, you can do:
>	Smalltalk disablePowerManager
>or
>	Smalltalk enablePowerManager

this helps a bit, but still stutters quite a bit

after Smalltalk enablePowerManager and setting the Mac to "allow
processor cycling" it works for about a second and then almost grinds
to a complete halt - with an occasional burst of action

after Smalltalk disablePowerManager it stops action about every second,

in either case if I keep the cursor moving it keeps going

but the only thing (so far) that really works is to not allow processor cycling

Karl