Is Squeak 3.0 ready for fame?

Kevin Fisher kgf at golden.net
Sun Mar 18 18:45:24 UTC 2001

[snip]

> I was considering posting an article to Slashdot about Squeak 3.0, but are
> the downloads servers ready for the huge demand that Slashdot can produce?
>
> For that matter, is Squeak ready for the Slashdot masses? Not to mention the
> hordes of Windows, Mac, and Linux newbies out there?

Hrm..good quesiton.  I discovered Squeak initially due to Slashdot back in
'97...I was lamenting about the lack of a free Smalltalk and someone pointed
me here. :)  Ah, the good old days..

That said, Slashdot is an unfriendly place for anything that deviates from a
certain 'norm'.  Squeak does not use the GPL, and this will be the prime focus
of any Slashdot discussion.  Look at what happened to KDE...even though KDE
was (for me, anyway) quite free under the QPL, the Slashdot crowd refused to
see beyond the QPL.  The end result was a humongous amount of bad press and
commentary for KDE, all undeserved (as far as I'm concerned).  I can see the
same thing happening for Squeak.  It doesn't matter what Squeak is capable of,
in the end...for the Slashdotters, the fact that it doesn't use the GPL is
reason enough to hate it.

To further this, I'm on the iPaq mailing lists and I've been discussing Squeak
with other interested parties there.  Alan Cox popped into the list with a
rather annoying "Squeak would be nice, but it's not GPL" message that
precipitated some more nasty licensing arguing...blech, I'm tired of the whole
subject of licenses.  Bottom line...is Squeak ready for Slashdot?  No.

..But Slashdot  is not the end-all of chat boards, either.  Linux Today is a
great place to make announcements like this.