[Fwd: [squeak] running squeaklets on linux]

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Mon Mar 12 11:14:42 UTC 2001

On Fri, 9 Mar 2001, Jason Steffler wrote:

> > Q2) Shouldn't the image look for these files in it's
> > current dir?  How can I reset this?
>
> No update on this yet, still looks for full absolute
> path.

The image does not look in the CWD but in the directory where the image is
located. That would be ~/.netscape/squeak/image .

> > 8) Problem #3: When I try the test squeaklets, it's
> > as if the .sts file is
> > ignored.  The squeaklet starts up with the last
> > known state.  For example,
> >
> http://www.squeaklet.com/NPSqueak/examples/hangman/simple/hangman.html,
> > no hangman squeaklet comes up, just a green
> > background (closed all windows
> > when saving image)
>
> I tried the 3.0 plugin for Windoze (using Netscape on
> both linux and Windoze, also tried IE on Windoze) from
> http://www.squeaklet.com/NPSqueak/plugin/detect/detect.html?plugin/launch.html
> just now, and have the exact same problem here.
>
> Also tried an old 2.4b Windoze plugin, and have the
> same problem.

If this is the same on Win and Linux there may be a problem with the
image. Did you try another one?

> BTW - I like this download facility, I'd be interested
> in helping it get setup for linux (RedHat anyway) if
> somebody wants to contact me.

I started on that one, but hadn't time to finish. The OS detection works
so far, but the download is not performed. Get the Netscape SmartUpdate
docs and try my attempt at
http://isgwww.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~bert/squeak/plugin/install.html

> > 9) When I try Bert's test page locally, I do not get
> > this error, but when I
> > try test pages on squeaklet.com, I get: an error
> > that a plugin type of the mime
> > type text/plain was not found.
>
> I still get the error when trying Bert's test page
> (via net - pop up window one at:
> http://wwwisg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/%7Ebert/squeak/plugin/test/plugintest.html)
> with 3.0 and old 2.4b on Windoze.

The text/plain error? That's odd. The server is sending
the mime type application/x-squeak-source. What browser do you use?

-- Bert