FW: Promoting Squeak (Re: Is Squeak 3.0 ready for fame?)

Karl Goiser squeak at wattle.net
Thu Mar 22 04:12:07 UTC 2001

hi Frank,

>Squeak looks under every environment very similar - its a system in the
>system - so once you have decided to learn its different UI you can switch
>easily between platforms - fighting
>against vendor lock-in.
>
>But programmers must work under the existent platforms - So they
>will spend much time under Windows working with questionable tools.

Not everybody works with Microsoft products, however.

>I have now Squeak true Window-Bindings ( will be released soon ), which
>actually means you can do true Win Apps much like VSE or Dolphin - with
>Squeak !
>
>So one one do a Windows App in Squeak - and from Squeak you can enter more
>easily
>different Platforms.

And there is the problem.  I'm a Mac person and want to do the same
for the Mac.

Will I need to write my own api because yours is specific to windows?
What about all the other platforms that Squeak is implemented on?

Without careful design, don't you end up back at vendor lock-in?

Regards,

Karl