Against wastefull forks (Re: Taking Ownership of Squeak(WAS Re: Python at Disney))

Mark A. Schwenk mas at wellthot.com
Sat Mar 10 01:32:51 UTC 2001

Dan Shafer wrote:

> I find Smalltalk/X perplexing. No implementation for Mac? But I found the
> quotations on the opening page of the site worth the visit.

Well, it actually started as a UNIX X Windows implementation. Microsoft Windows was their recent addition. Mac users weren't beating on their door for a port as hard as Windows users were.

And it actually started as a compiler, with a bytecode interpreter added later for interactive development.

With the Mac moving to a UNIX base with OS X, it seems that Smalltalk/X will also run there.

As some have pointed out, having UNIX as a base for your VM primitives might be more of a blessing (consider the Squeak networking primitives...).

Dig a bit deeper into the documentation on the site and I think you'll be intrigued by what you find there. If you are on UNIX or Windows, download a copy (although its about a year old), try out the included demos, and peruse the online documentation.

-Mark Schwenk
 WellThot Inc.