Where is the Mac VM that includes StarSqueak?

Karl Ramberg karl.ramberg at chello.se
Thu Mar 22 06:55:42 UTC 2001

Marcus Denker posted this a few days ago:

To compile squeak on MacOS you need:

 -> MPW-GCC: http://irafs1.ira.uka.de/~marcus/j3/devel/MPW-GCC.sit.bin
 -> Squeak Source + MPW Makefiles:
    http://irafs1.ira.uka.de/~marcus/j3/3.0Alpha7MTJ3.11h-SRC.sit.bin

The SRC-archive contains the latest J3-for-MacOS, but Makefiles are provided
to build a normal "interp"-vm.

**WARNING WARNING** the J3 you could build from this sources should *not*
be used for anything but running Benchmarks.

PREPARING TO BUILD
------------------

-> install MPW-GCC (unpack MPW-GCC.sit.bin, move the MPW-GCC folder to your
     disk)
-> add a new folder "build" to the 3.0Alpha7MTJ3.11h-SRC:src Folder

CONFIGURING
-----------

-> Start MPW, set the directory to the macOS directory:
   directory ':3.0Alpha7MTJ3.11h-SRC:src:macOS'

-> Build "Makefiles"
   This generates the dependencies and copies the Makefiles to the build
dir.

BUILDING
--------

-> set the directory to the build directory.
-> Build "Squeak" to build the interpreter.

But: The makefiles only build a monolitic vm, I havn't yet looked
into building plugins.

   Marcus

--
Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de  -- Squeak! http://squeak.org