Swiki Server problems

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Mon Mar 5 17:02:35 UTC 2001

On Mon, 5 Mar 2001 JArchibald at aol.com wrote:

> => 3/5/01 10:11:52 AM EST, nadja at cc.gatech.edu =>
> << I guess when OSX comes out, the Mac VM will be stronger in networking.
> Until then, if you are going to run a Swiki server, use linux. >>
>
> Anyone ---
>
> Does anyone have any comments on serving Swikis from Windows platforms?

Works fine, at least for small to medium loads (all I have experience
with). Swiki.net is huge and runs on a NT server farm (but has a
customized setup with custom primatives).

> I am in an 11th hour situation preparing to bring up some exploratory Swikis.
> I could use Linux, but it would be relatively new to me. I'd rather have only
> one foot in the air at one time. Mac also an alternative, but Windows is the
> path of least resistance at the moment. I have been happy running "personal"
> Swikis off of Windows, but of course, that is not a meaningful load test.

How heavy are you talking? I wouldn't be worried about it.

The one thing to be careful of is having the right vm/image setup. AFAIK,
just about anything post 2.7 (vm wise) should be dandy.

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.