"Protect me from what i want" - Jenny Holzer

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Fri Mar 16 11:49:14 UTC 2001

Hi Walter

to understand class and object I suggest you to implement the ObjVlisp model
in Smalltalk (see OOPSLA 87 paper of Pierre Cointe)
I made a complete tutorial with slides, tests, and a skeleton
for students plus a complete implementation in Smalltalk.

Once you implement ObjVlisp there is no egg and chicken problem
with class, instance and metaclass.

So cure yourself,

http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/WebPages/Teaching.html#meta

Feel free to ask question.
Take care this is in VW and not in Squeak. I did not try it in Squeak.

Stef

> I can manage recursion without problem, but this about Object and Class is
> making my head to spin too fast.
> Thanks. Regards:
> Walter
>
> --
> --------------
> Walter Moreira  <> Centro de Matematica  <> Universidad de la Republica
> email: walterm at cmat.edu.uy <> HomePage: http://www.cmat.edu.uy/~walterm
>         /OD\_    |   For millions of years mankind lived just like
>  O o . |_o_o_)   |   animals. Then something happened which unleashed
>                  |   the power of our imagination. We learned to talk.
>                  |                       -- Pink Floyd. "Keep talking"
> 	       --+--

Stephane DUCASSE (ducasse at iam.unibe.ch) http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/

University of Bern, Institut fuer informatik and Mathematik
IAM-SCG, 10 neubruckstrasse, CH-3012 Bern, Switzerland.