[ENH] Cassowary

Dan Ingalls Dan.Ingalls at disney.com
Thu May 17 04:05:42 UTC 2001

Joshua Channing Gargus <schwa at cc.gatech.edu> wrote...
>I have ported Cassowary, an "incremental constraint solving toolkit
>that efficiently solves systems of linear equalities and inequalities"
>to Squeak.  The original software was written by Greg Badros and Alan
>Borning (who wrote the original ThingLab).  Included is a Morphic port
>of the demos that come with the Cassowary distribution.
>
>Thanks to Bob Jarvis for helping with a release wrinkle.
>
>Hope you enjoy it,
>Schwa

Great stuff!

I just forwarded it to Alan Borning who hadn't known about your project.  He has an interest in coordinating such efforts so we don't duplicate too much in the future.  He also has some new technology to contribute to Cassowary.

It is probably time to start a conversation about merging some of the power of Cassowary with Ned Konz's fairly intimate integration with the Morphic UI.  Ideal would be if there were a preference to turn on and off simple constraints (a la Connectors), and then a package that could be filed in for more powerful constraints(a la Cass), but with essentially the same UI.

	- Dan