Restricting super calls to inherited method

Jon Hylands jon at huv.com
Sun May 20 00:52:33 UTC 2001

On Sat, 19 May 2001 14:04:54 -0400, Paul Fernhout
<pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com> wrote:

> I'm trying this in 3.0. [By the way, I'm not sure the second clause in
> the loop "eachClass class ..." is needed. It seems to produce mostly
> "fileOutOn:moveSource:toFile:initializing:" which is in Class,
> ExternalStructure, and Metaclass. Also the first clause seems to produce
> classes examples as well.]

Now this is interesting...

I don't recall having the following code:

	Behavior allSubclasses

returns all the MetaClasses in any other Smalltalk, but I've just gone and
tried it in VisualWorks 5i.2, and that indeed is what it returns.

So, you're correct, I didn't look closely enough at the output. So there
really are more like 200 examples, not 2000.

The reason it repeated that method,
#fileOutOn:moveSource:toFile:initializing:, is because when I said "Object
withAllSubclasses", half the objects returned were in fact metaclasses, and
when I sent #class to each of those metaclasses, they all answer MetaClass,
which implements that method.

Anyway, thanks for pointing that out...

Later,
Jon