pending file primitives (EH?)

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Mon May 28 16:51:43 UTC 2001

Jan Bottorff <janb at pmatrix.com> wrote:

> >Since I'm fiddling with file primitives I'd better ask.
> >
> >Are we missing something at the primitive layer? At this point we should
> >be able to open, close, read, write, seek, truncate, and flush. Soooo what
> >have we forgotten?

Hmm, actually there are two kinds of #flush -- one that makes sure the
data gets into the OS, and one that makes sure the data gets onto the
disk.  The latter is useful for high-reliability servers.  The function
is called "sync" on Unix, but I prefer "uberFlush", or maybe
"flushToDisk" depending on your mood.  :)

But having a real #flush at all is already a big step forward.  Yay!

Lex