web application frameworks in Squeak?

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Fri May 25 18:38:28 UTC 2001

Just some musings. Imagine you want a web site with dynamic content.
Ignoring
the active server pages route (expensive, slow, closed source) the
choices
seem to be:

Apache (or whatever) + MySQL (or whatever) + PHP. It can be made to work
very
well and is a widely used and well documented route. Most quibbles about
doing
it under Linux seem to have been blitzed by the advent of 2.4.

Zope + MySQL. Not so well documented (and currently lacking a graphical
front
end -- I hear one's in the works). I hear tales of blistering
performance. The
downside is having to learn Python (and, depending on your POV, having
to use
MySQL).

But I wondered, looking through the Sqiki stuff, extrapolating snippets
from
this list, just what it'd take to do a web application framework in
Squeak,
perhaps using Comanche as a basis? (It'd be nice to use an OODB, too!)

Any thoughts?  Bolot, anyone?

Cheers

John

Marx: "Why do Anarchists only drink herbal tea?"
Proudhon: "Because all proper tea is theft."