The license-free fonts, was: blah blah blah

Andrew C. Greenberg werdna at mucow.com
Thu May 24 04:48:11 UTC 2001

> Squeak's unauthorized
> use of the font could be used as one more example of the un-American
> hippie
> commie pinko open source community's cavalier disregard of intellectual
> property rights and associated general dismantling of Western
> civilization.
>
> Other than that, we just wanted a more uniform, better selection of
> fonts
> that looked good on screen.  Note the SqL expressly prohibits
> modification
> of the built in Apple fonts - so we didn't have the option of fixing
> them.

Not quibbling here, Dwayne -- I see no need to spit into the wind, even
when you are wearing a diving mask.  This is especially true if you
wanted a better selection of fonts.

I just want to make sure the point doesn't get lost:

According to these cases, Bitmap (but not outline) fonts are not
protected by copyright.  You don't need any authorization or license to
copy, distribute or make derivative works therefrom.  To the extent you
are fearful of a trademark claim, don't use the trademark.