reference manual need

Rosemary Michelle Simpson rms at cs.brown.edu
Sun May 20 20:05:33 UTC 2001

On Sun, 20 May 2001, Andrew P. Black wrote:

> Andrew Greenberg wrote:
>
> >You might take a look at the Squeak Smalltalk Quick Reference for a
> >10,000 foot view, or if you can get a copy, the blue book.  The
> >Quick Reference can be found at
> >
> >	http://www.mucow.com/squeak-qref.html
>
> I did a fairly extensive revision of (the other) Andrew's Quick
> reference last month.  I need to put the references back on the
> swiki, but the revised versions (I split it into 2 parts) are at
>
> 	http://www.cse.ogi.edu/~black/ecoop2001/Squeak%20Language%20Ref.html
> 	http://www.cse.ogi.edu/~black/ecoop2001/Squeak%20Classes%20Ref.html

Great!  Thanks, Andrew.  I've downloaded both files and replaced my older
version.  The classes file in particular provides a nice core to start
with.

> The other useful reference book that I still use occasionally is
>
> 	"Inside SMalltalk" by Lalonde and Pugh.  Volume 1 (blue) is a
> very comprehensive reference to the basic Smalltalk class library
> (collections, streams, etc).  It refers to VisualWOrks, but most of
> this stuff is the same in Squeak.   Volume 2 is a very comprehensive
> reference to a version of the VisualWorks UI classes and was out of
> date almost as soon as it hit the bookstores.  It's not much use for
> Squeak.

Unfortunately, it is out-of-print and I've not yet been able to obtain a
copy.  I'm continuing to look.

Apologies on the name mixup in my reply to Alan Kay, btw.  I was, of
course, referring to your comment above.

R.