reference manual need

Andrew P. Black apb at cse.ogi.edu
Sun May 20 18:36:02 UTC 2001

Andrew Greenberg wrote:

>You might take a look at the Squeak Smalltalk Quick Reference for a
>10,000 foot view, or if you can get a copy, the blue book.  The
>Quick Reference can be found at
>
>	http://www.mucow.com/squeak-qref.html

I did a fairly extensive revision of (the other) Andrew's Quick
reference last month.  I need to put the references back on the
swiki, but the revised versions (I split it into 2 parts) are at

	http://www.cse.ogi.edu/~black/ecoop2001/Squeak%20Language%20Ref.html
	http://www.cse.ogi.edu/~black/ecoop2001/Squeak%20Classes%20Ref.html

Actually, I have now uploaded these to the Swiki.  (Who do I write to
to remove the versions that I accidentally attached to the
NewbieHomePage?)  I'm in the process of finding the references to the
quick reference and updating those too)

The other useful reference book that I still use occasionally is

	"Inside SMalltalk" by Lalonde and Pugh.  Volume 1 (blue) is a
very comprehensive reference to the basic Smalltalk class library
(collections, streams, etc).  It refers to VisualWOrks, but most of
this stuff is the same in Squeak.   Volume 2 is a very comprehensive
reference to a version of the VisualWorks UI classes and was out of
date almost as soon as it hit the bookstores.  It's not much use for
Squeak.

	Andrew