3.0pre2 will build from source on SuSE 6.4

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Fri May 11 22:12:58 UTC 2001

rkiesling at mainmatter.com wrote:

//snipped//
> I have a system with Win 95 on it - it's for a job, really - and it
> reminds me more of television than a computer desktop.

But isn't this exactly what Linus has been talking about vis a vis
computers being too difficult? Personally I want to be able to switch
from "television viewer" to "telivision engineer" in Linux when I feel
like it, rather than when the equipment tells me to!

> I'm almost certain that if I would be declared persona non
> grata in Redmond forthwith if I ever decided to visit.

But didn't they invite Richard Stallman in to give a lecture? Certainly
I remember seeing it announced and I recall reviews of Eric Raymond's
visit (which seems to have gone off without a shot being fired).

All politics and closed source issues aside, what I dislike most about
Windows is the horrible GUI (the Windows Explorer "shell") and the way
they've effectively made what was always a poor CLI utterly ineffective.
For these reasons alone, I recon I can hand code Java 3 times quicker in
Linux than Windows. (Not, however, that the resulting code is any good!)

Cheers

John

Marx: "Why do Anarchists only drink herbal tea?"
Proudhon: "Because all proper tea is theft."