reference manual need

Rosemary Michelle Simpson rms at cs.brown.edu
Sun May 20 16:33:15 UTC 2001

> There are a scattering of primers and introductions to Squeak on-line,
> many of which are pointed to at the Swiki (which itself is quite a
> collection of data) and pointed to at www.squeak.org.
>
> You might take a look at the Squeak Smalltalk Quick Reference for a
> 10,000 foot view, or if you can get a copy, the blue book.  The Quick
> Reference can be found at
>
>         http://www.mucow.com/squeak-qref.html

Thanks, Andrew!  In fact the Quick Reference was one of the first
things I downloaded after being turned on to Squeak by Mark
Guzdial's excellent tutorial book "Squeak: Object-Oriented Design
with Multimedia Applications".

The first thing I did after deciding to seriously undertake learning
and using Squeak was to get everything I could find from the web,
which included joining lists like this one, getting primers and intros
and reference subsets such as the Quick Reference, and getting a
used copy of David Smith's out-of-print book "IBM Smalltalk: the
Language".  This book combines the approaches of Guy Steele's
Common Lisp: the Lanuage" (as you might expect from the title)
with a class encyclopedia.  It helps but is far from sufficient and is
incorrect for Squeak in many places.

All these things help but none suffice as a working reference for
Squeak.

R.