Squeak .debs in progress and available for download/testing.

Stephen Stafford stephen at clothcat.demon.co.uk
Fri May 25 01:07:31 UTC 2001

Hi,

	Just me again...I have now packaged squeak 3.0 (building on the
extremely good work of Marcus Denker...many thanks Marcus, there was
very little that had to be changed) and I would appreciate if, before I
go about ITPing and uploading, a few people could grab them, install
and test to make sure they work.  I have made them available on:

	http://people.debian.org/~bagpuss/squeak-debs/

these are built on an i386 machine, so for the VM at least, if you do
not have an i386 based architecture, you would need to grab the source
package from:

	http://people.debian.org/~bagpuss/squeak-source-packages/

You then would build these by doing:

	dpkg-source -x squeak-vm_3.0.0pre2-1.dsc
	cd squeak-vm-3.0.0pre2-1
	dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
	cd ..
	dpkg -i squeak-vm_3.0.0pre2-1_($arch).deb

You need to be root for only the last step of this (the actual
installation of the built .deb).  It is reccomended that you build the
package as a non-root unpriveleged user (that is what the call to
fakeroot is for).  You would also need to have the "task-debian-devel"
package installed for this to work.  It is possible (not actually very
sure, I have not tested this extensively) that dpkg might complain that
the .deb is not properly signed.  If this happens then contact me and I
will do my very best to help you get around this.
I would be pleased to hear from anyone who is building on an
architecture other than i386.  That is the only architecture I have
access to a build environment on, so it would be good to have it tested
on others.

Note: this is not necessary for the squeak-image or the squeak-sources
packages.  They are architecture independent.

Note: The main squeak-vm .deb is built on an unstable debian system.
It is possible that you may have glibc and libc++ dependency problems
on a potato (2.2rX) based system (anyone running testing/woody should
be okay).  Therefore I have also created a potato version, it is the
same as the other, but has been built on a potato system.  It is the
one (not surprisingly) with potato in the filename.  I have not been
able to test this on a potato system since the only access I have to a
potato build environment is via ssh console, so I hope it works
(fingers crossed :)

At this stage (and in fact always, at every stage) I am happy to hear
from anyone who has ideas, bugs, complaints, suggestions, anything.
Feedback is the most important thing to me right now.  I know that it
works for me on my system (which is a development system with pretty
much every library you care to mention installed).  I now need to know
if it works as happily on everyone else's system.  [With just one small
caveat, I am only on a 56k modem link...if you want/need to send me
large files (anything over ~100k is large) then *please* email me first
to let me know that you will be doing so, and wait for me to reply and
acknowledge that I know it is coming.  That way I can make sure that I
get it during a time when I am not paying by the minute for access.]

My email addresses for any/all of these comments/feedback are:

stephen at clothcat.demon.co.uk
bagpuss at debian.org

Or you can send to the list squeak at cs.uiuc.edu which I am subscribed to
and do read.

I envisage that it will be a couple of weeks at least before I am happy
enough with the packaging fine detail to actually upload and install it
in the archive.  It should get to Debian testing (woody) shortly after
that (usually about 10 days, all things being equal).  It will
unfortunately never manage to make it into official potato.  For those
of you with potato systems you can either use Marcus' excellent .debs
or mine (I will probably try to always have a potato built version
available, at least until woody is released) or grab the debianised
source from the archive and build your own .debs.

Thank you all for any time/effort you are able to give to making sure
that this packaging is working well.

--
Stephen Stafford
GPG public key on request