[OT] Re: Squeak substitute for Dialog warn:

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Sun May 27 23:49:31 UTC 2001

gb wrote:

> [...]

Yes, but (for example) compare the OU's material with (say) Ivan Tomek's
book. Granted Ivan doesn't cover the absolute newbie ground or the full
M206 syllabus, but I'd argue that it's completely useable by newbies and
covers much the same ground with greater clarity.

> b) we're lucky that there are still some Universities that
> have the common sense not to abandon Smalltalk and jump on the Java
> bandwagon, and the OU is one of them.

Yes, but this doesn't mean that we should just hold our noses and
swallow the medicine. It's great that there is a course, but it could be
better. I find the lack of any clear feedback path for M206 rather
disturbing, as that would be a way to improve it generally, as well as
deal with silly typos.

c) I originally only registered with
> the OU because of Smalltalk, all other local Universities use C++, Java and
> C, which is what I didn't want.

Me too!

> I'll get with you by email about Squeakbooks.

Please. I may also need some help on gridding!

Cheers

John

Marx: "Why do Anarchists only drink herbal tea?"
Proudhon: "Because all proper tea is theft."