Squeakland Evolution project thingy

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at disney.com
Tue May 29 19:23:11 UTC 2001

We realize all this. Read the essay more carefully (and maybe we
should have written it more carefully). Before going further, I
should reveal that I have a degree in Molecular Biology ....
     The active essay in question was developed as a paraphrase (plus
active examples) of a chapter in Richard Dawkins' book "The Blind
Watchmaker" (and ours was written for the Junior High School age
range). The various metaphors were adapted from Dawkins. His book is
quite to your early points. If evolution is a process, then a process
can certainly shape -- whether that is a subpart of "design" is moot
to me. It's just a metaphor. Is it going too far to have a "designer"
be heat plus stickyness?
      We are not giving evolution credit for intelligence and
creativity.  In fact, the chapter in question in Dawkins' book is not
about evolution per se, but about how a small amount of memory can
vastly improve almost random processes. Why is it not about
evolution? Because the environment contains an actual goal and the
fitness test is how close are the evolvees to the goal. Maybe we
should have made that clearer in the essay.
      As to the last part of your criticism, I think you have a good
point. What Ted and I were trying to show (again following Dawkins)
was that some of the arguments against the improbablity of evolution
should be seen in the context of "ratcheted systems" whose shaping to
an environement is incredibly efficient compared to random processes.
We shouldn't have convolved that point with points about evolution
itself.

Cheers,

Alan

------