[EXPERIMENTAL!][ENH] FocusFollowsCursor.cs

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Mon May 28 19:01:33 UTC 2001

[ On , May 28, 2001 at 00:43:03 (-0700), Ram Krishnan wrote: ]
> Subject: [EXPERIMENTAL!][ENH] FocusFollowsCursor.cs
>
> Here's a simple hack to change the default keyboard focus policy in
> Morphic projects.

Very cool!  I was going to ask the list if anyone had figured out how to
do this yet....

I find it very very very disconcerting that I have to click to make a
window active, but the focus follows my cursor around inside panes.

I should of course admit that the only GUI I've ever used extensively
(at least recently) has been X11, and that I always prefer a
keyboard-focus-follows-mouse-cursor policy in X11, but only to a window
level, not to a pane or input field level.

I don't think I've ever been happy to have the focus switch between
panes with the mouse cursor, not even in multi-paned X11 applications,
and especially not in text-oriented ones such as Emacs.  This does of
course happen in some X11 applications built under some GUI toolkits,
though usually if this happens an explicit click in a text field will
almost always cause the focus to "stick" there no matter where the mouse
cursor might wander afterwards (at least while within the bounds of the
main window, of course).

In Squeak the application I've "used" most (other than the system
browser and maybe some games) is the IRC client and I find it very
annoying that I have to be very careful to position the mouse cursor in
the text entry field before I can type there.

Even worse is that a slight bump of the mouse can put the cursor onto
the edge of the field and thus cause a resize handle to pop up (and for
the keyboard focus to be "lost").  I'd really like to be able to get rid
of the resize handles on inner morphs but yet still have them resize
porportionally (within limits) as the outer window is resized.  There
may be a way to do this, but I haven't found it yet....

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>;   Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>