New to Smalltalk

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Sun May 13 02:52:36 UTC 2001

Galchin Vasili wrote:

> Hello,
>
>    I bought Winston's book on Smalltalk and I am
> working my way through it and using Squeak as
> a way to program the examples in Winston's book.
> Is there a better book? (e.g. one problem with
> Winston's book is the Smalltalk programming
> environment he describes is somewhat different
> than Squeak). I await suggestions!

This question gets asked quite a lot: I'll try and put together a
selection of other peoples suggestions and the urls of some free stuff.
But it's time I went to bed!

In the meantime, you could try Mark Guzdial's "Squeak....." book.

I've never seen Winston's book, but there are big similarities between
all Smalltalks and lots of free tutorials linked to www.squeak.org

You might find that you can pick up enough Squeak background from them
to enable you to use some of the code in the book......

Hope you managed to get the mouse sorted

Cheers

John
Marx: "Why do Anarchists only drink herbal tea?"
Proudhon: "Because all proper tea is theft."