Squeakland.org

Raab, Andreas Andreas.Raab at disney.com
Fri May 4 19:11:20 UTC 2001

Henrik,

> What motivated you to do all the work of writing browser
> plugins, instead of just making Squeak a helper app?

Several reasons. #1 is that people are used to having plugins and are used
to see stuff in the browser. #2 is that this shows people what the Internet
is supposed to be - a place for active participation not for passive
reception (in other words the argument is that "if Squeak can do it in the
browser why can't any other tool?").

#3 is that there is absolutely no limitation with what you can do with
Squeak in the browser and what you can do with Squeak standalone (on Unix
and Win there isn't even a special plugin VM or somesuch).

Oh, and #4 is that browsers provide us with some additional information
that's hard to get otherwise (like proxy settings etc). Once you have your
browser installed you can use Squeak.

Cheers,
  - Andreas