[ENH] B3D Acceleration for X

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Sun May 20 02:19:49 UTC 2001

[ On Sunday, May 20, 2001 at 02:30:29 (+0200), Bert Freudenberg wrote: ]
> Subject: [ENH] B3D Acceleration for X
>
> this is the X specific part for Andreas' new B3DAcceleratorPlugin.

I can't wait to try it!

> When you compiled it (extract into src dir, configure, make), put
> B3DAcceleratorPlugin.so into the current directory where you start Squeak
> from.  The VM is lacking two exports so you need to change
> platform.exports before compiling a new VM (see NOTES). See Squeak3D.log
> for errors.

Not having done much with the Squeak VM under unix yet (other than debug
and fix a problem in the 3.0pre2 w.r.t. 8-bit displays), I don't yet
know anything about these runtime loadable modules.  The one I'm running
on NetBSD is just one program, no .so's (though it's linked dynamically
with the system and X11 libraries).

However I'm really reluctant to use runtime loadable modules in other
things so I'm thinking I might be best to avoid them in Squeak too.

What's involved with just linking these things directly into the VM
binary if I want to?  This is a modern Unix, after all, with dynamic
text paging and all that so a loadable module is only going to slow
things down anyway....

(I've even got a low-priority project on the back burner to build a
totally statically linked operating system to see just what the
implications are now with so much bloat everywhere....)

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>;   Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>