reference manual need

Simon Michael simon at joyful.com
Mon May 21 15:56:38 UTC 2001

"Andrew C. Greenberg" <werdna at mucow.com> writes:
> I would like to suggest the possibility that a reference manual
> slavishly integrated to the structure of Classes and methods may be
> too much and not enough.

I agree. We need plenty of higher-level documentation pages, not
attached to any particular piece of code. Ideally these too are within
the image and participate in the same integrated documentation system.
Think "wiki within the image".

Let me take this further - try this thought experiment. Imagine moving
the whole squeak wiki into the image. Assume a good mechanism for
synchronizing multiple copies. Now all the squeak documentation that
matters is integrated, available in all formats, available
offline. It's also still available as a web wiki, served out of the
master image at squeak.org.