The license-free fonts, was: Re: Packaging Squeak for Debian GNU/Linux

Henrik Gedenryd Henrik.Gedenryd at lucs.lu.se
Fri May 25 12:18:40 UTC 2001

Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:

> The MacRoman character set has all
> the umlauted letters I want, but \"E and \"O are up in the block of 30-some
> characters that the Squeak fonts omit.  I'd also rather like middle dot.

Now that the copyright thing has become clear, we don't need to stick with
the Accu fonts, we also have the option to use the X11 fonts for example.
The Helvetica and Times versions are pretty good. They use ISO 8859-1
encoding. This might help with some accented characters.

Virtually all freely available outline fonts also use this encoding which is
a second reason. (Not even the standard outline fonts on the Mac have the
complete MacRoman set, because PS fonts simply have a different set.)

It is actually kind of much to ask for all fonts to have all characters
match, historically speaking. The way to get that would be to generate them
all from outlines.

 A few decades ago even the concept of matching families hardly existed.
There were italic fonts and roman fonts, and you would combine those that
looked good together. A couple of centuries ago they were never even mixed,
they were like roman and black letters (Frakturstil) almost.

I guess all I am saying is that even the amount of mix-and-match regularity
that we have today shouldn't be taken for granted.

Which kind would you Squeakers prefer, the Accufonts or the standard
typefaces? (There could be both I guess.) Some of you have wanted to switch
to 8859-1 before. It's a bit of work but it is also a Web standard. What
else would it take beside these fonts?

Also, X11 provides two outline fonts that expressly allow everything one
wants:

> (c) Copyright 1989-1992, Bitstream Inc., Cambridge, MA.
>
> You are hereby granted permission under all Bitstream propriety rights
> to use, copy, modify, sublicense, sell, and redistribute the 4 Bitstream
> Charter (r) Type 1 outline fonts and the 4 Courier Type 1 outline fonts
> for any purpose and without restriction; provided, that this notice is
> left intact on all copies of such fonts and that Bitstream's trademark
> is acknowledged as shown below on all unmodified copies of the 4 Charter
> Type 1 fonts.
>
> BITSTREAM CHARTER is a registered trademark of Bitstream Inc.

Charter is a really nice serif font. But bitmaps generated by FreeType from
any of the "you may freely use" fonts can be put in the image and projects
without problems.

Henrik