[ENH] windowshade30 (+comments)

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Sun May 6 02:33:41 UTC 2001

On Saturday 05 May 2001 19:33, Andrew C. Greenberg wrote:

> Recent arguments made by Microsoft executives criticizing open source
> development criticize such systems point to forking software as its
> achilles heel.

As someone who's tried to port things between different versions of Windows
(even Win32) over the years, I'd have to say that Microsoft is no stranger to
the forking problem.

For some reason, for instance, their Win9x and WinNT groups didn't bother
coordinating where things go in the registry.

Or you could look at a variety of Win32 API calls that work just enough
differently to be annoying.

For entertainment, look at MFC source code sometime. There is (or was the
last time I looked) considerable conditional compilation depending on OS
version.

It's not at all uncommon to see software vendors supplying a Win9x version as
well as a WinNT version of the same _application_ package.

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA
email:     ned at bike-nomad.com