Packaging Squeak for Debian GNU/Linux

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Tue May 22 21:44:49 UTC 2001

On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 10:13:06PM +0100, Stephen Stafford wrote:
> Yes, I appear to already have those, but the ones I have are for 2.8
> which is a bit dated looking now (3 looks and feels so much nicer).
> And I really would like to see them available as part of the Debian
> archive.
>
> If there are v3 .debs available and Marcus doesn't object perhaps I
> could use those as a basis for starting from.

Ups, I did not update the file on ftp.ira.uka.de, the new packages are
available at:

http://irafs1.ira.uka.de/~marcus/deb/

Those .debs are based on 3.0pre2 with some patches...

(I will build new packages later this week... the memory patch seems to be
unstable and some other patches need to be added)

It would be really great to have Squeak as official Debian packages...
somehow I didn't manage to become a developer. I tried as soon as the first
Squeak debs were made (1998, maybe). And after 1.5 Years of waiting I got
an answer from someone who wanted to guide me trough the
"new-maintainer-process". Doing everything he wanted (like sending a signed
copy of my ID... etc...) the result was: You need to meet some other maintainer
before we even consider to allow you to contribute.
I just wanted to start looking around for some developer...

Licenses: SqueakL is *not* DFSG free. I discussed this on debian-legal and
this was the result. Problems are Fonts (of course) and the "export clause"
(that is, you are not allowed to ship Squeak to Cuba).

But: Stable Squeak contains new, free fonts.

The real Question is: Are we allowed to change the Squeak license after
we use the new fonts? It would be bad to have a license talking about
non-free fonts that are not there anymore...

   Marcus