Embedding Squeak in REALbasic?

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Sun May 27 07:52:27 UTC 2001

Has anyone ever thought about embedding Squeak into REALbasic?

REALbasic an OO BASIC development environment for Mac OS, that can compile
to Mac OS and Windows.  It's quite Mac-ey and allows rapid development of
nicely native apps.  (I've never worked with deployed Windows apps, but
they're pretty nice on Mac OS)

I've been pondering this for a while, thinking that Squeak and REALbasic
could be tied together some how to give Squeak a native face without
having to write plug-ins for native interfaces, as well as having to
re-write existing tools code or messing around with PluggableViews.

This has come up in my mind quite a few times, when faced with a need to
write a quick and dirty app that I *could* do in BASIC, but it's more
naturally done in my head in Smalltalk, but requires some degree of native
look-and-feel. (In this case, dragging and dropoing files from the Finder)

Musings?

Aaron

Aaron Reichow  ::  Twin Ports ACM VP ::  http://www.d.umn.edu/~reic0024/
"The profit system follows the path of least resistance and following the
path of least resistance is what makes a river crooked." -U. Utah Phillips