the "script manager" in Stable Squeak

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Thu May 24 21:08:02 UTC 2001

On Thu, 24 May 2001, Lex Spoon wrote:

> Thank you for the defense.  It seems, though, that all of the features
> of Script Manager are available in Squeak already.  Thus while Script
> Manager is surely very handy in VisualWorks, we're talking about
> *Squeak* here.  Squeak's main feature is the ability to make
> presentations that mix code with other media forms--isn't that better
> than workspaces?
>
> If I'm ever using a non-Squeak Smalltalk, then Script Manager is
> something I would look into.  But I don't see a use for it in my
> personal environment, and I don't really see a use for it for Stable
> Squeak.  The only defense I can think of is that authoring tools weren't
> as well developed back in 2.8 as they are in 3.0. ...

A script manager would be very nice, as far as the work I do.  I'm doing
some data analysis, and I happen to have a bunch of scripts (in a
traditional perl or awk sense) that I've just got thrown as class methods
on a class. A script manager would seem a more natural fit than this.

Aaron

Aaron Reichow  ::  Twin Ports ACM VP ::  http://www.d.umn.edu/~reic0024/
"The profit system follows the path of least resistance and following the
path of least resistance is what makes a river crooked." -U. Utah Phillips