Comments on new changes to Preferences

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Tue May 1 15:44:55 UTC 2001

I like the idea of notification on a preference change. In fact, I posted a
change set some time ago on the list that would do this.

But I think there are some problems with Preference as it stands in 3960:

* There is a single, hard-wired informee. Why only one? This makes it hard
for user code, or added code, or whatever to hear about appropriate
preferences changes.

* Why duplicate already-existing notification schemes? There are already two
publish/subscribe mechanisms in the image: the stock MVC as well as the event
stuff. I'd just add a myEvents instance variable and accessor and use the
stock event mechanism to provide notification. This would allow multiple
objects to be notified on a preference change, and may reduce the amount of
code in Preference.

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA