Packaging Squeak for Debian GNU/Linux

Simon Michael simon at joyful.com
Tue May 22 21:36:20 UTC 2001

Stephen Stafford <stephen at clothcat.demon.co.uk> writes:

> On Tuesday 22 May 2001  9:58 pm, you wrote:
> > O yes! :) Please go ahead, and let me know if you need debs tested.
> >
> > You may have seen that "stable squeak", though not yet released, has
> > replaced the fonts. The new ones have some kind of special license
> > for squeak (which may or may be sufficient to get into main).
>
> oh?  Do you have a URL for this new license?  (I would prefer to get it
> into main if I can)

No. Check out the stable squeak article announced on the list
recently; the stable squeak folk should be able to tell you more.

Also, there are some existing squeak debs as Bert pointed out - I
can't recall who that maintainer is. It may be worth thinking about
how multiple squeak versions should co-exist (released squeak &
testpilot squeak from SqC, the stable squeak fork, etc.) Also how
often to update the package(s) ? Perhaps:

- debian stable tracks SqC's released squeak (VM + updates)

- debian unstable tracks the latest VMs, plugins, + SqC's testpilot updates

- a separate stable-squeak package is made available when that shows
up. I imagine there will be a need for separate packages for a while.

-Simon