Community and Artifact Define One Another (Was: SqF purpose: supporting the Squeak community?)

Stephen Pair spair at advantive.com
Tue May 29 19:31:41 UTC 2001

Andrew Greenberg wrote:
> 		We "vote" with our fingers, or our feet.

Absolutely.

I disagree about forking being necessarily bad (I think it depends on the
nature of the fork in question, and the willingness of forkers to cross
pollinate with other forkers)...but I'll leave that argument alone for now
(but remember: evolution needs variation and selection...any attempt to
dominate and control evolution only ensures that you'll find the wrong
path).

The fact of the matter is that SqF, SqC, and StSq are all attempts to
organize and collect resources, either to pursue a specific agenda, or in
anticipation of pursuing an agenda.

If SqF is going to accept money as part of it's organization, then those
with money to contribute will no doubt expect to have some influence over
its agenda.  Once SqF is established as a credible and viable organization
in the community, it becomes a convenient marketing vehicle for those that
wish the community to pursue a certain goal...they only need to convince SqF
that the goal is worthy.

Is this any different than SqC?

Everyone participating in the Squeak community is pursuing their own
agenda...as they should.  Make Squeak do what you want it to do...and, if
you have the means to collect and organize resources in order to pursue a
specific goal...great.

- Stephen