[ENH] windowshade30 (+comments)

Andrew C. Greenberg werdna at mucow.com
Sun May 6 03:28:18 UTC 2001

On Saturday, May 5, 2001, at 10:33 PM, Ned Konz wrote:

> On Saturday 05 May 2001 19:33, Andrew C. Greenberg wrote:
>
>> Recent arguments made by Microsoft executives criticizing open source
>> development criticize such systems point to forking software as its
>> achilles heel.
>
> As someone who's tried to port things between different versions of
> Windows
> (even Win32) over the years, I'd have to say that Microsoft is no
> stranger to
> the forking problem.

Indeed.  There was much irony in virtually every one of the posted
arguments -- discussed ad nauseum in a recent Slashdot thread.  Indeed,
it was almost precisely that irony that struck me-- that there are a
kazillion versions of Windows, while the open source community has very
effectively shunned forks in recent years.