convincing squeak to use LF instead of CR as the line separator...

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Mon May 28 09:23:35 UTC 2001

On Sat, 26 May 2001, John Hinsley wrote:

> But am I right in guessing that, from the point of view of filing in
> code, Squeak doesn't care about the LF/CR stuff?

No. Only if you make CrLfStream your default stream it becomes smart
about the line endings.

> So I can "hard convert" files to my hearts content?

You shouldn't ... and why would you? If it's only to read Squeak files
outside of Squeak, some tiny shell scripts is all you need. I have "scat"
and "sless" aliases that invoke recode:

scat	cat !* | recode applemac..
sless	scat !* | less

So if I see that a file has those darn "^M"s in it, it takes only a
fraction of a second to put the "s" in front of the command line to see
the file in all its beauty :-)

-- Bert