[FIX] [UNIX] Re: SerialPort problem in UNIX Squeak 3.0 vm on FreeBSD

Kevin Fisher kgf at golden.net
Tue May 22 12:19:03 UTC 2001

> Simply: I forgot to set the CREAD bit when I initialized the termios flags.
>
> However, I didn't catch it because CREAD (being a mostly useless flag) wasn't
>
> used in Linux until 2.4.3. And I wasn't running 2.4.3 or later until very
> recently.

Interesting!  A month or so back when I upgraded to 2.4.3 from 2.4.2 I noticed
that my serial classes had stopped working as well.  I just chalked it
up to new bugs in the Linux kernel since they had pretty much rewritten
the serial driver for 2.4.3.  I was going to try things out with 2.4.4 but
I've had all kinds of troubles with this kernel (like SysV IPC being
strangely absent, malfunctioning framebuffers, etc) so I'm back with
2.4.2 again.