web application frameworks in Squeak?

Stephen Pair spair at advantive.com
Sat May 26 03:29:37 UTC 2001

Michael Rueger:
> The trick is to have a choice: use Apache, use Comanche, or use
> Squeak/Comanche as an add-on for a web site whatever works best. There
> is so much stuff you can use when you are running Apache (e.g. SSL). Why
> reinvent all that?

Why reinvent?  Perhaps for the same reasons that the GUI, the operating
system, the web browser, and everything else is being reinvented in Squeak.
Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with having these choices...but it
should be clearly stated that there is no reason that a Squeak based web
server could not perform at least as well as any other web server.  Improve
sockets in Squeak, add a couple of primitives here and there for
performance, and there you have it.

> Just try to persuade a web master to get rid of his apache server and
> run Comanche instead. But, you could probably persuade him to add
> another module (Squeak/Comanche) to his configuration. This way you
> don't have to fight a war, you just sneek Squeak in ;-)

You're right about that.

- Stephen