Realtime graphic display

Henrik Gedenryd Henrik.Gedenryd at lucs.lu.se
Sat May 19 13:05:44 UTC 2001

Ted Shab wrote:

> Looking for pointers on designing a real time graphic
> display of waveforms, based on medical data (i.e.
> ECG), although this last bit is probably irrelevant.
> Data will be updated via sockets.
>
> Should I look at the musical wave editors, or can
> someone point me to something a little closer?

Ted,

'though it's hard to give advice on such a generally held question, I
suggest you start by doing the simplest thing possible, and explore
techniques for speeding things up only if they become necessary. There is
plenty of experience in speeding up graphics on the list, as you will find
out if you hang around for a while.

I suggest you start off in Morphic, and use fairly regular Morphs without
trying to optimize things much at all. You might even want to use
PolygonMorphs for a line diagram. The wave editors may be good place to
look, as you suggest.

You should most likely use Morphic's built in stepping (#step) facility to
handle updating from your socket. This will probably save you a lot of
trouble.

And, as always, keep Squeak's screen depth = that of your host OS' display,
this is a crucial speed issue, much more important than, say, going to a
lower screen depth.

Henrik