convincing squeak to use LF instead of CR as the line separator...

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Sat May 26 19:26:32 UTC 2001

"Greg A. Woods" wrote:

> [ On Thursday, May 24, 2001 at 23:32:07 (+0100), John Hinsley wrote: ]
> > Subject: Re: convincing squeak to use LF instead of CR as the line separator...

> > a bigger problem for me is trying to
> > read Macified code and text outside of Squeak. God, it's *horrible*!
>
> It's not too bad in Emacs if you get emacs to do the conversion on the
> fly.  The only problem is in getting the file "type" detection to work
> properly.  Oh if only people would/could always put:
>
>          -*- mode: smalltalk; coding: mac -*-
>
> on the first line of their Smalltalk files (for example).....  :-)

Well, I get round the problem (more often it's a case of people running
Win 2000 boxes coming to me with a floppy containing some java file
knocked out under Solaris or Mac, so I just run recode or unix2dos or
mac2dos or whatever on it. It's pointless explaining that a decent OS
should come with such tools...for most of them doing command line java
is the closest they'll ever come to a text file :-)

But for just reading I tend to rely on Gvim doing it automagically. I
won't enter into the Emacs vs Gvim wars!

But am I right in guessing that, from the point of view of filing in
code, Squeak doesn't care about the LF/CR stuff? So I can "hard convert"
files to my hearts content?

> well, the Unix choice of a <linefeed> as the text line separator was
> "unconventional" once upon a time....

But surely there's a history to this..... I just wonder why, given that
Unix preceeded DOS and Mac, they both decided to do things differently?
(But I'd imagine that the Smalltalk 80 people were all developing on
Macs, so that the choice sort of followed on from that....) I wonder
which tradition OS X follows?

Cheers

John
Marx: "Why do Anarchists only drink herbal tea?"
Proudhon: "Because all proper tea is theft."