[ENH] B3D Acceleration for X

Wiebe Baron wiebe at cosmocows.com
Sun May 20 13:34:12 UTC 2001

> > It works great up to an extent of about 565 at 539, but bogs down
> after that.
> > I suspect it's due to VRAM limitations on my current card.  It might be
> > time for new hardware...
>
> Seems unlikely to me. Note that it only runs at full speed if the 3D
> window is completely uncovered. As soon as another morph is on top of it,
> a rather slow method is used to make it still look right (for me, it
> becomes slower than software rendering).

By the way, this is also the case when other morphs are behind the 3d
window. Worse if there's a huge pile of slow morphs such as system windows
behind it. This is because B3DSceneMorph and AdvancedB3DSceneMorph are sub
classed directly from Morph which is a very polite object that considers the
feeling of those beneath it. The B3DSceneExplorerMorph is a BorderedMorph
which overrides the #areasRemainingToFill: method.
B3DSceneMorph should too:

!B3DSceneMorph methodsFor: 'drawing' stamp: 'WJB 5/20/2001 15:25'!
areasRemainingToFill: aRectangle
	(color isColor and: [color isTranslucent]) ifTrue: [^ Array with:
aRectangle].
	^ aRectangle areasOutside: self bounds! !

Cheers,
Wiebe