Community and Artifact Define One Another (Was: SqF purpose: supporting the Squeak community?)

Andrew C. Greenberg werdna at mucow.com
Mon May 28 01:31:36 UTC 2001

>> That is, we are both looking inwards to discussing purposes and
>> projects
>> to support "Squeak the artifact" as opposed to looking outwards to
>> purposes and projects to support "Squeak the community".  The two are
>> naturally related, but the choice of perspective might have a profound
>> influence on how we all think about the Squeak Foundation, as well as
>> how the Squeak Foundation carries out its operations and sets its
>> priorities.
>
> I would most certianly agree.  I think it is always better, perhaps
> infinitely better, to support the community rather than "just" the
> artifact that the community formed around.  The latter will come from
> the former.

Excuse me, gentlemen, this is mere sophistry.  A seasoned advocate can
trivially make the contrary argument with equally compelling rhetorical
force.  But I'll spare you the demonstration, because to do so would be
mere demagoguery -- indeed, mere pabulum.

The question is not "whether the artifact drives the community or the
community drives the artifact?"  Even to attempt an answer (using an
exclusive or)  is losing, for this is a fundamental principle of open
source communities and, to use your terms, their "artifacts:"

	COMMUNITY AND ARTIFACT DEFINE ONE ANOTHER.

Put another way, the community and artifact are not only "naturally
related," but are inherently intertwined.  At least for a viable
community.

In an open source world, the artifact joins and defines the community.
Just  as surely, the community defines the artifact.  This is because of
what we are -- of what is an open source community: a community
comprising those who are concerned with a program they program.  It is
because the word "program" is both NOUN and VERB.

Projects and communities that enjoyed these synergies prospered.  Those
projects and communities who have not became irrelevant.  It is as
grievous an error to rationalize a dangerously  conservative posture
regarding the artifact on the theory that the artifact --as is-- defines
the community as it is to rationalize an unconcionably unnecessary fork
on the theory that the artifact is irrelevant if it is not changed to
serve some special interest identified for particular purposes as "the
community."

If we try to define the community with words approximating a functional
specification at any level, we have already lost.  As such, it leads to
hopeless and divisive advocacy -- and eats at the core of a community.
I am not saying you are right or wrong.  I am saying that THIS argument
is pointless, possibly harmful, and disserves community and artifact
equally.

Let us define our community by our dynamic and limitless good works.  It
is time to write much less political prose and write much more code and
documentation.  All of us.  Let our works (meaning both the efforts and
the products), not our words, define us.