running directly from RAM on wince?

Kevin Fisher kgf at golden.net
Fri May 25 12:18:33 UTC 2001

Interesting question!  I'm not certain about this, but does not WinCE
support XIP (execute-in-place)?  If so then it should be able to do
what you say.

iPaq/Linux however, is a different story.  Current images use JFFS2, which
is a journalling flash file system.  It treats the entire flash as
a read-write filesystem (performing some voodoo to make sure that
no one area of flash gets accessed more than others).  This question
was asked on the linux-Ipaq list and I believe the best answer was
that Linux will only use memory as it is needed or accessed.  It doesn't
behave like XIP, but it's pretty efficient just the same.

If you're curious the discussion should be archived on www.handhelds.org
in the 'ipaq' mailing list archive somewhere. ;)